In East Berlin, very soon after the end of the Second World War, the “Neue Berliner Illustrierte”, or NBI for short, was released as a replacement for the “Berliner Illustrierte Zeitung” which ceased publication in April 1945. The magazine enjoyed huge popularity up to German reunification. It came out weekly until 1991 and, in the 1970’s and 1980’s, had a circulation of around 800,000 copies per edition. Despite this wide circulation, the NBI was always quickly sold out.
The magazine brought a “glimpse of the world” into the living rooms of the people, who in the GDR did not have the opportunity for unrestricted travel, and this most certainly contributed to its popularity.